Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Journey!! Part 1:From Calicut to Cochin

Well, Folks, I am in Kuwait right now! The place I consider my home. As many of you know, I was born and bought up in Kuwait. It has been over an year since I had last been here. I would have been here earlier had it not been for the freaking major project evaluation. Certain things have changed over here leaving me in utter despair, but again there are certain things that are still intact giving me a ray of hope or rather a sigh of relief.

Well, My journey from Calicut was indeed a tale. I boarded a KSRTC bus from Calicut to Ernakulam( from where I was supposed to take the flight). Things went pretty well from Calicut to thrissur where I was all alone on a 3 seater bench!! I was literally sleeping on the seat. But to my horror, Two hefty fat gentlemen got in at Thrissur. For our convenience, lets call them Billy and Bob. As I saw them approach towards my seat, I knew I had to make a choice of the seats before they did!! I opted for the window seat in case things got a little sweaty. As I proceeded to make my thought into action, to my horror I found myself already at the window seat quicker than I actually anticipated. Besides this I also felt my right leg being crushed against the frame of the bus before it became numb after which I did not feel it at all. I really wanted to give both Billy and Bob the address of the nearest gym with a special note which said that I have nothing against obese people but again I did not want them to use me as a punching bag for the rest of the journey.

Striking a conversation in the bus is perhaps the most suffocating thing to do. I have been in all sorts of situations. Some of them are listed below:

1. A Tamilian dude who talked to me in tamil for 3 hours. I didnt understand a word he said. I even tried telling him that I didnt know tamil, but clearly HE REFUSED TO BELIEVE ME!!

2. An Astrologer- He read my palm and told me that I was a lazy person with a lot of luck. I told him to tell me something I dont know. I mean most guys in their early twenties are lazy. You dont need my palm to predict that.

3. An old man who served as an officer in some wildlife sanctuary. He told me stories of Balu, Mowgli, Bageetha and some other animals and birds right from the year he joined. I believe it was 1975 or somthing. I WASNT EVEN BORN THEN!!

Most of the times, I dont start a conversation. I use my north Indian complexion and the bits and pieces of Hindi I know to avoid them. But in case I get caught in one, then I try yawning and looking elsewhere to avoid continuing the conversation. Bob was sitting right beside me. He was a fat man in his mid-thirties, medium complexion, thick moustache and HE SMELLED LIKE SOCKS!! I could not turn to his side leaving me with a stiff neck for the next two days. When I thought things couldnt get any worse, there again MURPHY's LAW was proved again. Half way through the journey, I felt this sudden jolt of pressure on my left shoulder. Alas, Bob fell asleep and his head had unknowingly landed on my shoulders. It was so annoying and at the same time embarrassing too. I tried pushing him over to billy's shoulder but obviously his head weighed more than double my whole body weight. The only way, I got him to swing was by moving front and back. After he hit his head twice, he swung over to billy's shoulders and remained there for the rest of the journey. They really looked perfect for each other in that frame.

I reached kaloor at around 8.30 that night, took the last bus to my house at 9.10pm. Things went pretty smooth there other than the part where I fell on a completely drunk stranger as the bus moved.( I was carrying 3 bags and the driver was driving as if there was no tomorrow). He asked me at which position I played for the kerala soccer team but I guess that's his way of saying "NICE LEGS".

Anyways, I was so glad to finally reach home after that tedious travel. Unfortunately, My joy didnt last long. WHAT HAPPENED??! Find out in "The Journey part 2". Coming soon only on http://unique-not-wierd.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Tara said...

Hehe! Poor you! Bus journeys with pathetic company are such a pain! I remember once this aunty...just came and sat next to me...she was huge...REAL huge, and smelled pathetic too! And it was a two seat row bus, so I had no option but to bear the burden of her head on my shoulders all night long! :\

Waiting for Part 2... :)

Mohammed Shamil said...

lol dude.. u are giving me more reasons to saty on the world wide web..
and yeah a survivor five for this sem.. :)

Another Blogger said...

this post reminded me of this journey i had.. http://insanely-still-sane.blogspot.com/2008/08/journey.html
u knw all bout tht one dont u!!!

i empathize with u!!

The Genesis of Oblivion said...

@Tara: I know how u feel!!..I hope u were not traumatized!! =D

@shammil: I always laugh at my misery!!..heheh!!!..anyways i am glad u like my blog!!..and a survivor five to u too man!!..so one more sem left!!...i have got tears in my eyes now!!!

@Shenthol: Oh how can i forget that?!! The ticket with ur sex as male!! and hence you got the magnificent General compartment!!..hahah..that is by far one of the funniest stories i have ever heard!!...

Anonymous said...

hehe...u never disappoint with your posts :-D

Another Blogger said...

i have something for you in my latest blog post.. :)
im sure you'll love it.
go fetch!!!

Another Blogger said...

you have been tagged!!!

Another Blogger said...

Another award...
your backlog is accumulating :D

Antony K said...

cool